With the 2012 Olympics well underway, we got to thinking: which countries were Olympic shopping champions when it came to buying jewelry & accessories? After detailed analysis, we compiled our findings into a comprehensive Shopping Olympics infographic. Based on a sample of around 8,000 recent customers (equally spread over North America, Europe & the rest of the world) the research shows that:
• The gold medal for the highest spenders goes to Colombia, with the average spend per transaction at just over $700. Kuwait takes the silver medal with an average order spend of $560 and Russia the bronze at $350.
• The most generous men when buying gifts for women are shopping from Singapore, with an average gift purchase costing $300. Men in Spain came in second with $250 spent on gifts and French men came in third with $200.
• Team GB came out top for buying the most necklaces, bags and silver-based products while USA customers are the champions when it comes to gold-based products and rings. Shoppers in France buy the most bracelets, and take the silver medal when it comes to shopping scarves.
• Overall, Team GB tops the medal count results when it comes to online shopping, with USA taking silver and France bronze.
• The United Arab Emirates, which is widely regarded as the home to some of the world’s biggest spenders, is at the bottom of the medal count table.